As part of a vegetarian diet, I need to incorporate more protein and Quinoa (pronounced 'keen-wa' or 'kin-wah') is a complete protein. It's a great source of protein for vegetarians. I tried it for the first time today and it was alright. You basically use it as a rice substitute. Good for gluten intolerant people too. I'd tweak this recipe next time I make it though (eg. add berry compote instead). Apparently, it's great to chuck into salads as well.
Quinoa Porridge w/ Banana, Raisins & Pistachios
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 200g (1 cup) quinoa
- 500ml (2 cups) low fat milk or light soy milk
- 60g (1/3 cup) raisins, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure floral honey, pure maple syrup or rice syrup
- 1 banana, sliced, to serve
- 125g (½ cup) low fat vanilla or soy yoghurt, to serve
- 30g (¼ cup) unsalted pistachios, finely chopped, to serve
- low fat milk or light soy milk, extra, to serve
- Place the quinoa in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water. Tip the quinoa into a saucepan and add the milk. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Add the raisins and cinnamon and simmer for 8-10 mins, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the honey.
- Serve the porridge in small bowls with banana slices. Top with a dollop of yoghurt, a sprinkle of pistachios and a little warm milk.
7g fat (saturated 1g)
Source: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook