GERMAN STYLE POTATO SALAD
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 750g potato with skin (14 baby potatoes) *I used 1kg baby potatoes
- 100g lean middle bacon, finely chopped *I used 125g WW bacon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar *I used raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard (preferably powdered) *I used seeded wholegrain mustard
- 1/4 cup vinegar (preferably apple cider) *I used white wine vinegar
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped *I forgot to add this
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped *I forgot to add this too
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan (or microwave for 9-10 minutes). Add enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and allow to cool. Cut into quarters and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add oil to pan and allow to heat. Add onion and cook stirring for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add sugar, fennel seeds and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Add stock and vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes or until mostly reduced. Add potatoes, bacon and parsley and toss to combine. Spoon into bowls and top with chopped egg.