ROAST BEETROOT AND WHITE BEAN SALAD
WITH BALSAMIC DRESSING
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1½-2 hours
- 1 bunch (600g) beetroot
- 125g baby spinach leaves
- 500g cooked white beans (I used cannellini beans)
- 1 red (spanish) onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 4 thick sliced wholegrain or rye bread, to serve
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp flaxseed oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Trim off the beetroot leaves, leaving about 3cm of the tops intact. Do not trim bases or it will bleed and lose colour. Wrap beetroots in a large piece of foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 1½-2 hours, or until tender. Set aside to cool. Once cool, put on rubber gloves ad peel the beetroot. Cut into thin wedges.
- Place the spinach leaves, beans and onion in a bowl. Toss to combine. Add the beetroot and toss gently to combine.
- To make the Balsamic Dressing, place the vinegar, oil and garlic in a small jug. Whisk well to combine, and season to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately with the bread.