- Anatomy and Asana: Preventing Yoga Injuries by Susi Hately Aldous
- Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter
Very dry but a great resource to supplement the less technical notes.
- Bringing Yoga to Life by Donna Farhi
Brilliant. Reading Donna's book has been inspiring and the most down to earth book on yoga I have come across yet. Humour is definitely a good thing to have. I can really appreciate where she has come from and how she approaches yoga, making it so accessible to absolutely anyone.
- Light on Yoga: The Bible to Modern Yoga by BKS Iyenger
Brilliant. A must in any yogi's library.
- Jivamukti Yoga by Gannon & Life
I am not sure if I like the preachy nature of this book but I do appreciate where they're coming from. A different perspective, different ideas and it challenged me to think differently about my own practice as a beginner.
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra
- The Spirit of Yoga by Kathy Phillips
A great introduction to the history from a western perspective.
- The Tree of Yoga by BKS Iyenger
This is a great place to start if you're a beginner. It's written in a simplistic and coversational way, and was a joy to read. Great to re-read as well.
- Spiritual Survival in the City by Katie Spiers
Samadhi Yoga's founder has brought together the main principles of yoga and how to apply them to your everyday life, focusing on the Patanjali's Eight Limbed Path. Definitely a good book to have in your library.
- The Yoga Bible by Christina Brown
Christina runs Life Source in Sydney, Australia and has come up with a great guide to many different postures. The models in the book are yoga teachers from various schools around Sydney.
- Yoga Body, Yoga Mind by Cyndi Lee
Cyndi Lee has been practicing yoga since 1978 and runs Om Yoga in New York. I love her simplistic style, non judgemental and peaceful way of teaching. This has been invaluable to me as a beginner!
- Yoga as Medicine - The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing by Yoga Journal
- Yogini - The Power of Women in Yoga by Janice Gates