HEALTHY COOKING CHALLENGE
One of my favourite side dishes of all time is mashed potato. In particular, with mushrooms and wholegrain mustard combined into it. Unfortunately it is not very point friendly the way I liked it (full cream, lots of butter) so I have avoided it ... until now. I can still add the sauteed mushrooms and mustard without adding points but this time I just wanted it plain, with a bit of side salad in a low fat french dressing.
LOW FAT MASHED POTATO
Points per serve: 1.5
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 500g sebago (brushed) potato
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tsp reduced fat dairy spread
- 1/4 cup (60ml) skim milk
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm thick slices. Place in a medium saucepan with the stock. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to the boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender when tested with a skewer. Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan over low heat, add the spread and use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add half the milk and use a wooden spoon to beat the potatoes until smooth. Add enough of the remaining milk to reach the desired consistency. Beat with the wooden spoon until well combined and fluffy. Taste and season well with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.