I am officially putting myself up to a new challenge, to help keep me motivated with the healthier lifestyle that I've adopted. Each week I am going to try something new to cook from various cookbooks and post it. Even bought myself a new Tefal frypan yesterday!
This is one of the most delicious things I have made lately and enjoyed it last night. It's real easy to make and the flavours scream out. The beans and sweet potato make it feel like a full meal so you definitely don't need seconds. Delish!
SWEET POTATO & BEAN BURGER
Points: 3.5 per serve
Prep time: 12 min
Cook time: 12 min
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 600g kumara (orange sweet potato), peeled and grated
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 eggs, separated
- cooking oil spray
- 30g soft lettuce leaves
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 4 tbs light mayonnaise or sweet chilli sauce
- tomato, cucumber slices
- Mash beans. Heat olive oil in pan, add grated sweet potato and cook for 4-5 mins or until soft. Add mixture to the beans in a bowl, then combine with shallots, chilli flakes and garlic.
- Lightly beat egg yolks and combine with the sweet potato mixture. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites together, fold into the sweet potato mixture, then form into 4 patties and place on baking tray.
- Preheat the grill and coat the upper side of the patties with cooking oil spray. Cook patties under the grill for 3-4 mins or until golden, then turn over, coat with cooking oil spray again and grill the other side for a further 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Place lettuce leaves on the slices of toasted bread, top with burgers and finish with mayonnaise, tomato and cucumber slices.